MILIAS HOUSE, Literally on the Beach
1. Milias House is located in the seaside village of Pedi in the homonymous bay, 3,5km from Yalos, Symi's harbor. Available for rent is the ground floor.
2. Ideal for families with children and suitable for people who are not at ease with stairs.
3. In front of, literally on, the beach.
4. Old, neoclassical house (built in the late 19th century) fully restored, with its traditional elements mixed with modern features and amenities.
5. Covered terrace (20 sqm), just 3 m from the sea, with no road interposing between the sea and the house.
6. Small jetty in front of the house, hosting a settee carved out of an old wooden boat, which belongs to the apartment. Visitors can place long-chairs or a dining table on the jetty for dinner ‘on’ the sea.
7. Shortest distance between the house and the road is 70m, which means the place is truly quiet, as well as highly safe and convenient for children.
8. The apartment is 70 sqm. The main room is a studio of 50 sqm,with two twin beds, a sofa (also made from an old wooden boat), dining table and fully equipped kitchen. Adjoining door leads to the second bedroom (15 sqm, one double bed),while a third door opens to a private backyard and the toilet.
9. The house has thick stone walls, high ceilings and is really cool. Although it provides air-conditioning, usually the two ceiling fans just above the beds suffice for a pleasant stay.
10. The house is about 140 years old, but all electrical devices (lights, switches, sockets, etc.) were replaced this year.
11. Cooling private backyard (about 20 sqm).
12. The toilet is accessible from the backyard and is located next to the second bedroom.
13. Local buses, connecting Pedi with Horio and the Symi harbor, pass every 30min from the bus stop situated just 70 m from the house. Covered on foot, the approximately 2 km-long route passes through the picturesque Horio and the famous Skala Kali.
14. There is a beach right in front of the house, as well as easy access (by boat or on foot )to two of the isle’s most beautiful beaches: (a) Aghios Nikolaos, at 1.5km from the house and accessible through a well-marked path, and (b) Agia Marina, approximately2 km from the house and also reachable through a well-marked path. Boats to both of these popular swimming spots depart from a pier, just 70m away from the house.
15. Also at some 70 meters, there is a picturesque waterside taverna with good food and very reasonable prices. The place is so close to the house, that, if you happen to have children, you can easily monitor them through intercom, whilst they sleep back at the house.
16. No bars or restaurants with loud music are to be found in Pedi. Quietness is a given -and most enjoyable-especially at night.
Why this house
• Because it is over...almost into the sea .
• Because it is a 19th century houseand it is an interesting experience to live in.
• Because in the morning waking up and before washing your face, in five steps you enter the sea .
• Because the afternoon you can lay on long chairs, in the jetty near the sea and have a drink there.
Because you can take your dinner in the open air, by the sea.
• Because your kids can play on the beach and bathe while you watch them from the front yard.
• Because it has two sofas-boats in and out of the house made from the " Argo ", the old wooden boat.
• It is a cool old stone house with thick walls, a stone sink and ceiling five and a half feet tall .
• Located in the center of the bay, has a spectacular view.
• You can see from your bed one of the most beautiful sunrises of Symi .
• Easy access by boat or on foot, in two of the most beautiful beaches of the island .
• Peaceful and safe environment. Complete silence.
• There is no road with cars near the house .
This house belonged to the family of our grandmother that grew up on it. It was the cottage of the large and wealthy family Pharmakidis who used it mainly as a summer house, because it was cool and it was on the sea. We, Ion Milias and Tzortzis Milias are Athens residents. We spent there all our childhood summers and we associate the place with holidays, azure waters, fishing and lot of fun . As adults , married and having children , we still continued to spend our summers in Simi and enjoy the beaches with our families and our wooden boat " Argo ". The boat , when aged , turned it into a sofa and armchair, which now is one of the high lights of the house.
|Ion Milias: Teacher, physical education teacher .
Kechagia Cleo (wife of Ion Milias ) : dentist
George Milias: Teacher of chemistry
Alexandra Kyfioti ( wife of George Milias ) : Journalist